Monday, July 27, 2015

Email 7-27-2015

Happy Monday!  How's everyone doing today?  I miss you all.  Everything is going well here.  Had a pretty good productive week, and having lots of fun as always.  I appreciate all the emails I get.  I hope everyone is doing well.  I guess I'll jump into my week.  

Monday was good.  We did all our normal prep day stuff, relaxed and played a little risk. The we had dinner at the Cates and their daughter Moriah had a family home evening lesson planned so we didn't share a message.  We saw the Maines.  They are nice people.  I wish they lived closer so we could visit them more.  They want us to but they live on the edge of our area and we never have enough miles to go there more than once or twice.  

Tuesday was good.  We went back out to Warren and got to teach the restoration like 4 times.  We taught one of our potentials Tyler but turns out he is shipping out for basic the next day.  It's lame because he was really open to it and interested.  We thought we could totally pick him up as an investigator.  But we gave him our number and told him to call us in a couple months when he could and we would get the missionaries in that area to teach him.  He said he would, so hopefully.  Another cool thing that happened that day was Elder Johnson didn't really want to go try to see one potential lady we had there because she had kinda blown us off a couple times and he wanted to wait longer, but I felt like we should.  We went and ended up being able to teach her the restoration.  It was a good lesson.  It was cool because we almost didn't go see her.  Later we went and had dinner with Russ, he's hilarious but a character haha.  He's less active and struggles with some aspects of the church but he's super nice.  I think I emailed about the time we pulled up in his driveway and he pulled a gun on us.  Haha.  He has a fireworks business and does displays and he shot off some sweet M80s for us while we were there.  He gives us a lot of crap but you just have to give it back to him and he'll like you.  He said he really appreciates us coming.  We taught Book of Mormon class.  Then our nonmember friend Sathesh asked us to give him a ride to Hannafords to get groceries because he only has a bike and it was pouring out.  Well that's against mission rules so we couldn't.  But we went and got his groceries for him because he didn't have any food and some other things.  He might let us start teaching him mini-lessons so we can be around more. He just wants to hang out and doesn't get that we don't really have free time.  But if we can teach him anyway we can that's cool.  Grandpa Tony emailed me and said I got a jury summons, that's pretty funny.  I don't think I'll make it back to CA for the trial.  

Wednesday was solid.  We had zone meeting in the morning for like 5 hours.  I lead the zone in reciting our purpose.  Which the D&C section 4 is included in that.
The entire thing is:
Our purpose, is to invite others to come unto Christ, by helping them receive the restored gospel, through faith in Jesus Christ and his atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end.
Doctrine and covenants section 4:
1 Now behold, a marvelous work is about to come forth among the children of men.
2 Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day.
3 Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are called to the work;
4 For behold the field is white already to harvest; and lo, he that thrusteth in his sickle with his might, the same layeth up in store that he perisheth not, but bringeth salvation to his soul;
5 And faith, hope, charity and love, with an eye single to the glory of God, qualify him for the work.
6 Remember faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility, diligence.
7 Ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. Amen.

After that I had to talk about part of it that I like. So I talked about "Ask and he shall receive".  It's such a common theme throughout the scriptures.  James 1:5-6, 3 Nephi 18-20, and a ton more repeat that same idea.  Ask God, and he shall giveth liberally.  It's a simple, yet powerful promise.  He has that support for us in everything we do especially when it is aligned with his course.  I have a huge testimony of that since I've been on my mission.  The Lord has been there with me constantly.  It's like he promised in D&C 84:88 "And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." Pretty powerful stuff.  Later after zone conference we were invited to make an appearance at the relief society pool party, mostly to eat food.  Haha so we went there.  All of the sisters decided to rush us and attack us with water balloons.  Elder Johnson scrambled and was gone.  I just stood there and took it like a man.  Haha, tons hit me but every single one bounced off without breaking.  I joked about us missionaries being protected by the armor of God.  Elder Johnson and I had a 2 man mini water balloon fight with 3 a piece.  He missed with all his, I nailed him good right in the neck with my last one.  Afterwards we went and taught Sathesh the 5 minute restoration, that's all we had because he timed us.  :P. He gave us 6 minutes to teach.  In return we had to help him work on his accent.  We were supposed to get the area book planner app for our iPads after zone conference but it didn't happen.  Supposedly we'll get it this upcoming week.

Thursday we served at the community meal.  We tracted a lot and met a potential named Rachel.  She's a college student here and said she things she should learn about other religions so that's cool.  We also went home teaching with Brother Smith and that was fun.  

Friday we did service at the thrift shop.  We got a bunch of ties.  Thrift shops are cool.  They also gave us a throwaway table that were are going to use for our game table.  We are going to convert the back room into a game/chill room.  It'll be sweet.  We met with Jonathan.  We had dinner at the Tremblays and it was make your own pizza night.  Mine was pretty amazing.  I didn't know I had such skill as a pizza chef.  We taught them the 10 commandments and the law of chastity.  They are so cool, I'm going to miss them when I leave.

Saturday was good.  We were supposed to help some people move but it fell through.  So we had a big gap in our plans so we set up to go do service for the Tremblays.  We went and split wood.  The Tremblays were using a wood splitter but to make it go faster I was using an axe and doing it by hand.  It was hard work but pretty fun.  I've never split wood before.  I got pretty bomb at it by the end.  Brother Tremblay was way good, but I was second best fo sho.  We did that for like 4+ hours.  I was exhausted by the end we came home and took our lunch at dinner all at once and slept for like an hour.  We went and taught Sathesh the plan of salvation in 5 minutes.  Then we finally were able to meet with a less active named Ethan.  We've been trying to since I got here.  

Sunday was good.  A member of the mission presidency came to our branch.  He emphasized the importance of us all working together to find people to teach.  He wants us to implement a family mission plan with everyone in the branch.  We had dinner with the Merrifields which is always fun.  

Anyways.  Keep up the emails, and for those of you who haven't, you should!  :) I miss you all.

Love,
Elder Alarid

No comments:

Post a Comment